Friday 13 January 2012

My experience at Masterchef Live 2011

MasterChef LIVE (www.mastercheflive.com.au) is an ultimate foodie event in Sydney that attracts a huge crowd of food lovers and the like.

I was very excited when a week before the opening I received an e-mail from the event organisers, Brand Events (http://www.brandevents.co.uk/where_we_are/australia/), asking if I would like to help to decorate a number of display shelves showcasing various products sent in by the event sponsors.  Although I've never been involved in food styling before, I couldn't let pass such an opportunity and said "yes".

I was asked to come late in the evening on the eve of the opening to work with dry goods leaving fresh produce and breads to be done at the last minute.  Armed with piles of salami and other smallgoods, packets of flower, boxes of olive oil and roasted capsicums and rolls and rolls of paper towels I set about the task.  It was quite a challenge trying to build displays that would not only serve their original purpose but also make all those trivial objects look appealing to the eye.  It was then that I congratulated myself on not skipping the class on Styling and Composition when I was a student at The International School of Colour and Design.  I worked well into the night having a lot of fun threading sausages around the poles of the shelves and using my wit to build up small elevations to lift the wooden crates laden with food for better viewing and dimensional effect.




On the morning of the opening, I arrived around 6 am to finish the job by adding freshly baked bread, fruits and veggies.

It was great fun working with food and although it is not really my forte, I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Just a feeling of being a part of it, meeting new interesting people left me with good memories and some new experiences. 

The event organisers seemed quite pleased with what I've done and hopefully will contact me for MasterChef Live 2012.

But the highlight of the day was my encounter with chef Dan Hong of Ms.G's (www.merivale.com.au/msgs/) and Lotus Restaurant in Potts Point.  His inventive mouth-watering dishes are certainly worth trying and will blow your head away. 


No comments:

Post a Comment