Thursday 15 December 2011

Who Framed Who?

Hi All,

You may have noticed that I changed the picture in my header. I really like this arrangement and wanted to share it with you.

As promised, this post is about a recent DIY project of mine: framing and hanging a photo gallery. There are two things that led me to this idea:  1) I recently completed a graphic design course where I learnt my way around Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. Some of you might smile and think, “Where has this person been in the last 10 years and how has she survived without using these tools?” Well, finally equipped and dangerous, I decided to put my newly-acquired skills to the test. And, when it comes to interior decorating, there’s no better guinea pig than your own home; 2) my home is split into two levels with both walls leading up the staircase blank except for one painting hung at the bottom of the stairs.

So, I decided to create a photo gallery on one of the walls. I have to be up front – this is not an easy task. It takes time and patience to put together a collection of images that are not only interesting but also complement the existing décor.

I started with only six frames so that if it worked out well, I could add more as I went along and became more adventurous.

 The one painting already hanging on the wall is monochromatic with a yellow accent. Applying the elements and principles of design, I took inspiration from this colour scheme and chose white paint for the frames with a matching grey mat (or mount). I should mention to you that I love picture frames and strongly believe you can frame almost anything, transforming the most trivial everyday object into a statement piece. But that’s a topic for another post.

Original wall

I also wanted to add some character and texture to the frames. I achieved this by giving them a light scrub with sand paper and slapping some grey paint here and there.



Next, I selected the pictures my family and our guests wouldn’t mind seeing as often as they climb up and down the stairs. Family photos were my original idea but I decided against it because: a) these are already displayed enough in our bedrooms; b) both my husband and I think such photos are a private affair and c) I wanted to be able to utilise Photoshop tools.  After screening hundreds of saved images, I settled on those that highlighted the places we’d visited over the years and dream of seeing again.

Despite being an absolute Photoshop amateur, I had a lot of fun adjusting the pictures, mostly using the Image and Filter tools. To my surprise, the effects were quite stunning, my favourite being one of the Brooklyn Bridge with the colours inverted.


The last part of the project proved to be the trickiest: positioning the frames. I strongly recommend cutting a newspaper to the same size as your frame and using something like Blu-Tack (that’s a removable adhesive for you non-Antipodeans) to attach it the wall. Take a step back, take a photo and walk away.  The following day, have another look at the arrangement with fresh, focused eyes. I also suggest viewing the photos on your computer so that you can have a closer look without losing perspective nor having to crane your neck!

Work in Progress

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.  So please take a look and I would love to know what you think!


Job's done!


No comments:

Post a Comment